Disclaimer: this is absolutely and only my opinion! haha, however, by owning too many bags, I have come to a conclusion that only few are necessary. Yes, the shiny one on sale is oh so flirty and cute, but will you ever have the guts to wear it outside and not only in front of your mirror or uploading a really art-sy pic with it on Instagram? Time has approved that quality is always better than quantity. And in the field of bags, it is really important. I will first share some tips of choosing a bag and then my top 5 bags with followable links in case you want to grab them actually. :)
(pic originally from Fashion Gone rouge, edited by me)
Before sharing the top 5 bags of my choice, to have in your wardrobe, here's a little list to follow when choosing a bag:
1. Is it real leather? If not, is it a good eco/vegan/fake leather? Mostly you can tell it by smell or by holding it for more than 3 seconds before exclaiming that "OMG I NEED THIS". While choosing, take the bag with you on your arm and browse other bags or clothing meanwhile. In this short time you'll notice if it's comfortable or not, if the leather creases or folds in some places weirdly. Like with shoes, you have to walk around a bit to see how it moves with you.
2. Is it timeless? I mean, will you wear it in two years, in a year or even in the next season? This may be the case of the ever-expanding trends in clutches. This past month the robot clutches were such a hit on Instagram and ASOS but I doubt anyone will be sporting a little tech clutch next September. Question yourself if you can see yourself rocking it also later.
3. Always prepare for yourself mentally the outfits the bag will go with. If the bag is simple and minimalistic, it will mostly go with anything. But pay attention to the seasons because you won't wear a beach bag in December even if it cost you 200 euros/pounds/bucks.
And here's my top 5 bags every woman/girl should have in their wardrobe to complete it.
1. The fun one. The bag you can complete your basic outfit with, if you feel it is too dull. The form and size are still very comfortable and versatile as you can fit a block note in there and wear it with jeans or a dress. You can find it here - ALDO Hatchet Shopping bag
2. The little crossbody bag. It is perfect for parties, weddings, birthdays, movie night and date night. Almost for everything, except school or work. So it is a little precious treasure of yours that you wear when you go out. It is big enough to hold a phone, a wallet and keys - the essentials. This particular one is from New Look and it reminds of the timeless Chloè Drew bag, but of a much more welcoming price tag. You may frown a little upon New Look, because, hey, everything's so cheap on there, how can that be of a good quality? Well, I own two of their bags myself and plan on getting one or two more, and I can tell you, they are of good quality. So here the price and quality comparison doesn't match in a positive way. You can find this gem here (also in different colors) - New Look Chain Cross Body bag.
3. The sleep over bag for ladies. So you're staying at your friends house after a party or at your boyfriend's but don't want to take a travel bag or worse, a trolly. There's a wide choice of bigger handbags that will fit all you need. This particular one is from River Island and of real leather. I have a bag from their brand of eco-leather and, damn, the quality is amazing, so I can only imagine how good would a real leather bag serve. Plus, because of the size of this bag, it can be very versatile and serve as a school/work bag too. This one you can find here - River Island Croc Embossed Bag.
4. The "a little more expensive" one. Okay, so we all probably dream about owning an authentic Chanel bag, or better, a vintage one. But that's for millionaires or for people who can really hold on to saving up for a long time. For the little more expensive taste, to satisfy the need to have something from a hot brand, I found the perfect one (in my eyes) from Love Moschino. It's an incredible brand with very similar design of the timeless Chanel. And I can't blame them, who wouldn't have wanted to be the one to create the first quilted bag that so many now rock or want to rock. This cheaper of the more expensive ones you can find here - Love Moschino Quilted Shoulder bag.
5. Last but not least, the ever-lasting trend bag. Think satchels, bucket bags, bigger/smaller clutches and backpacks. They are always and never on trend. They come back as an IT item every other season, majorly depending on if a fashionista is sporting them. So you can be sure to get one of those and not worry if in autumn you're not wearing it because by summer you will be stuck with it day by day. Find here the bags - River Island Satchel bag, GAP Bucket Bag, ASOS Clutch bag, ASOS Backpack.
Which are your favourite bags of all time? What bag would you love to have and what bag do you love that you have? :) Let me know!